"ORNAMENTS LOVE MINIMALISM": THE HANSEN FAMILY

"Ornaments love minimalism" is a quote by Gesa Hansen, a young German/Danish designer coming from a scandinavian family of carpenters, designers and architects.

I love that quote - and I fully agree. (It is what she replied when her father commented one of her designs by saying "minimalism hates ornaments".) The quote describes what makes the objects she designs so outstanding - no further explanation needed, the pictures speak for themselves, I think. She has been collecting various design awards and nominations in the past few years: Two Red Dot Awards for "Best Product Design", the "Good Design Award" by the Chicago Anthenaeum and being the ELLE Decoration Newcomer 2012, just to name a few. And I think they're well deserved.

All photographs via gesahansen.com

If I lived on a bigger budget I would be the proud owner of her remix desk, sideboard and coffeetable. Her collection is made from ecologically grown wood and produced by The Hansen Family (founded by Gesa Hansen) - a small atelier in the German Sauerland region which used to be her grandfather´s workshop.

By the way - in addition to being a much acclaimed new design talent, The Hansen Family also has a wonderful blog and she just opened her interior design studio in Paris with Pascaline Feutry. And last but not least: Gesa Hansen sings a duet (have a glimpse here at 3:35) with french superstar Benjamin Biolay on his latest album. For real. Too good to be true, you say? A name we will hear even more often in the future, I say.

Noor (Wednesday, 21 November 2012 16:28)

I love this post and that quote very much. I am very much into a minimal style with my design as well. I have always thought staying simple, light and clean is the best approach.

minamoka (Wednesday, 21 November 2012 16:55)

Agreed - it looks so simple but we know that it is much harder to get rid of things than to add things, right? And I think Gesa Hansen is taking the minimalist style to another level with those colorful details.

Eva (Wednesday, 21 November 2012 22:56)

Wunderschöne Möbel!! Sehr nach meinem Geschmack. Liebe Grüße, Eva

minamoka (Wednesday, 21 November 2012 23:09)

Hallo Eva - toll, oder? Leider preislich noch etwas zu gehoben für mich, aber das kann ja noch werden... Bis dahin einfach auf Fotos bewundern! Liebe Grüße zurück!

Hema (Thursday, 22 November 2012 09:21)

Love the remix desk too----Bisous et bonne journée!

Betty Red Design (Thursday, 22 November 2012 17:48)

Ooh, I love that second one! How simple and stylish!

minamoka (Thursday, 22 November 2012 18:02)

@Hema: So nice to see your comment here! Enjoy the last weeks (days?) in Montenegro! What about that remix desk in your new place in Ankara...? Wouldn´t that be nice!