DO IT: DIY MINI HERB GARDEN

DIY mini herb garden / minamoka.com
vintage bathtub for DIY herb garden/ minamoka.com

Welcome to DO IT No. 4!

I really surprised myself with this round because it has to do with something that is not exactly my biggest strength: Gardening. Plants. Green things that you're supposed to water, love and talk to.

(In case you're a new reader: DO IT is a weekly column on MINA MOKA where I try to transform an idea from my ideas board on pinterest into reality. The motto is: stop pinning stuff, start doing stuff.)

This week: Stop pinning, start planting!

DIY mini herb garden / minamoka.com
DIY mini herb garden / minamoka.com

The pin it all started with today was this one. I liked the idea to have an herb garden in an unusual planter. I don't have a wooden box or drawer like the one in the pin, but I remembered that I had a vintage metal tub that we got as a baby bathtub for our first son. We thought is was super retro and very cool. It turned out to be super heavy and very impractical. But very retro, indeed!

After a couple of months I decided to buy an ugly plastic baby bathtub and use the metal one as a planter. End of story. I bought an ugly plastic baby bathtub and never planted anything anywhere.

Until today.

Voilà: My mini herb garden. Parsley, Thyme, Rosemary, Basil.

diy herb garden minamoka.com
DIY mini herb garden / minamoka.com

And I can even see it directly from my desk!

DIY mini herb garden / minamoka.com

I'll be back on monday with a new Instaweekend collage and then take a little break from blogging for the rest of the week.

Have a good weekend!

Chi @ 106 (Friday, 19 April 2013 21:04)

Good for you!

I've been meaning to grow my own herbs for some time now. There's something so cool about having fresh, homegrown herbs to hand, isn't there?

Slight problem though - I'm as black-fingered (no pun intended! Is that even an actual phrase?) as they come. My husband and I often joke that the only living thing we've managed to keep alive is our daughter. :D

I hope you'll share some tips as your "babies" flourish. ;)

minamoka (Friday, 19 April 2013 21:07)

I hope they WILL flourish! I'm the same as you, really. My plants usually die. My three year old is a more talented gardener than I am. Maybe living in the country will turn your thumbs green, though ;)

Judith (Friday, 19 April 2013 21:33)

What a clever idea! I'm always looking for not-too-expensive planters for all my green "adventures", bathtubs are a great idea. And your vintage one looks reallllly good! Have a wonderful weekend, Lena!

geraldine Tan (Saturday, 20 April 2013 01:34)

The green looks gorgeous against the blue of the bowl. Good luck with them and happy weekend x

Hema (Saturday, 20 April 2013 08:30)

Thank you for this lovely inspiration, I was myself thinking of having a little bit of green in my small terrace on the 17th floor ;-) Bon weekend!

Kreetta (Saturday, 20 April 2013 08:33)

Fresh green with fresh taste! Great project. It's always fun when you get something ready and you can enjoy about it! Nice weekend to you, Lena!

minamoka (Saturday, 20 April 2013 08:47)

Good morning, Geraldine, Hema and Kreetta - happy weekend to you, too and thank you for your kind words! I hope I can keep the garden alive for a while to enjoy it a little longer.
    @Hema: 17th floor terrace sounds good. I have to come visit!

Sylee (Saturday, 20 April 2013 21:41)

Ah, this is lovely! "Stop pinning, start planting!" the perfect slogan for this (late) spring.

ilaria (Sunday, 21 April 2013 22:47)

I love the idea of the bathtub as a pot and the herbs you picked go so well together you won't have any problem in keeping them alive! I can feel from the posts everyone is doing we definitely need some spring :-) I hope it's coming soon. Wish you a nice week. Ilaria

Mette (Sunday, 21 April 2013 23:11)

Oh such joyful planting! Love your rain boots and the mini bath tub is ideal for your planting project :-) the color is so lovely. Thank you for sharing and bringing your pin into live :-) have a wonderful week Lena!

Gudy Herder (Monday, 22 April 2013 11:26)

Grossartig! Jedes einzelne Foto ist klasse. Ich mag Deine Gummistiefel. Ich mag die Wanne. Ich mag das lay out!

tina @ colourliving (Monday, 22 April 2013 16:10)

You talented lady. Love what you've done.... I also have a little herb garden but after I killed it I got some pros to plant it for me... happy to say they survived the winter! I'm loving mine too.

How many times have I already told you i love this series... stop pinning, start planting! Genius.

Love your wellies. x

minamoka (Tuesday, 23 April 2013 09:15)

Oh, thank you Sylee, Ilaria, Mette, Gudy and Tina! Your lovely comments made my day. Have a great week!

Doris (Thursday, 25 April 2013 22:40)

Lena, what a great idea! I love that you recycled the bathtub and put it to good use! And the herbs looks wonderful in their new home. Good for you! xD

dirtymosquito (Wednesday, 02 October 2013 16:08)

amazing diy project!!i want to try it soon!!