DO IT: STONE AND BLING

DIY stone ring on minamoka.com

A little DO IT to end  - and start - a busy week {with lots of DOing, but not so much of it blog-related}

For new readers: DO IT is a column where I transform one of the pins from my ideas board on pinterest into reality. I try not to copy it exactly, but to use it as a starting point - and I try to work with things I already have instead of buying more. The motto: Stop pinning, start doing! {note to self}

The pin it all started with this time was this one. I pinned it because it reminded me of my growing collection of little stones, broken tiles and other little treasures from the beach and elsewhere that I have wanted to turn into pieces of jewellery for a long time.

But I was always imagining something a little different from the usual hippie shell necklace  - something more simple.

DIY stone ring | minamoka.com
DIY stone ring | minamoka.com

I was actually going to use a little piece of a broken tile to make a ring because they're so flat - but then I saw this red stone which seemed to have appeared on my desk out of nowhere {things appear on my desk out of nowhere all the time. On yours, too?} and turned this one into a ring.

I like the odd shape and the color. And the way it's shimmering and glimmering in the sunlight!

DIY stone ring | minamoka.com
DIY stone ring | minamoka.com

And you know what? Turns out the stone didn't come out of nowhere - but directly from India. My husband was pretty suprised to see that little stone he had just brought back from a business trip to India on my finger. In fact, he even found it close to the Taj Mahal. And I had no idea.

This little guy down there will be my next victim, I think. Does anyone of you happen know what it is?

DIY stone ring | minamoka.com

Have a wonderful start into the week!

Gudy Herder (Monday, 06 May 2013 10:05)

Hi Lena, next time your husband comes back from a trip, ask him if he could 'find' a semi precious stone :-) Question: how do you fix the stone? Have a wonderful week and see you soon!!

minamoka (Monday, 06 May 2013 10:24)

Hi Gudy, I simply glued it onto the ring. It doesn't look very nice, that's why I didn't post a picture of it ;) Well, you never see the back anyways...

Doris (Monday, 06 May 2013 20:36)

How beautiful is the colour of that stone? I like the idea that what you are wearing has come all the way from India brought back by your husband. It's kind of romantic, like you were both drawn to it in some way. Have a lovely week Lena. xD

minamoka (Monday, 06 May 2013 22:05)

Thanks Doris - you're right, I thought it was a little magical, too... And a lovely week back to you!

Mette (Monday, 06 May 2013 23:10)

Such a beautiful stone and what an enchanting story it tells! Really love the color and so India! Super great use of natural stones, you and this DIY really rocks :-) that black stone reminds me of Yoda, can't wait to see what journey that little fellow will follow. Have a wonderful week and thank you for sharing your idea!

Judith (Tuesday, 07 May 2013 00:03)

Lovely DO project again, Lena! Did you manage to keep your fingers superglue-less? I always tend to get my fingers stuck together with it :D

minamoka (Tuesday, 07 May 2013 10:53)

@Mette: Thank you - and yes, you're right about the resemblance to yoda, true!
    @Judith: Nope, thankfully I can still use each one of my fingers seperately ;) but I know what you mean...

tina @ colourliving (Wednesday, 08 May 2013 02:29)

Another great DIY project. Love the red stone and it makes a unique ring. Now don't go hurting people:-)