A BERLIN MINI GUIDE FOR THE HIVE : SHOP | DRINK | SEE

berlin mini guide for the hive : shop | drink | see

Bloggers from all over Europe (and beyond) are coming to Berlin this weekend to attend the 2. European Blog Conference The Hive to meet, mingle, talk, listen and learn from each other. It is taking place at the Betahaus in Berlin-Kreuzberg - how convenient for me, it's my neighborhood.

So instead of preparing myself for the journey like most other attendees I thought I'd provide a little mini guide with a handful of places to see. They're all within walking distance of the betahaus because there won't be much time to drive or walk around the city during the conference weekend.

I picked 3 shops, 1 bar and 1 community gardening project in the neighborhood, 5 places that are unique and in their way typical for Berlin. (I think). Go see for yourself!

berlin mini guide: süper store
images via sueper-store.de

"Quality is the key to everything"

If you agree, you'll love Süper Store. It is a small gem in a lovely neighborhood called "Graefekiez". Their items are carefully selected and curated, they come from Berlin and other parts of the world and the owners' aim is to offer "favourite pieces" only. They do.

And if you're looking for something to bring home from Berlin, here's my tip: The local Vodka OUR/BERLIN, made from Berlin water and (close to Berlin-) wheat, distilled and filled in Berlin. It is the first part of an international cooperation project with Pernod/Ricard, other major cities will follow. You don't like Vodka? Doesn't matter, the packaging and the idea behind are too good to miss it.

Please note: Süper Store is closed on mondays.

Opening hours:
Tuesday - Friday 11.00 - 19.00 h
Sturday 11.00 - 16.00 h

Dieffenbachstr. 12, 10967 Berlin
www.süper-store.de

berlin mini guide : voo store
images via vooberlin.com

"The selection of designers and products play a key role, with an emphasis on design, creativity and good craftsmanship."

Voo Store is a concept store on Oranienstrasse, located on a 300 m2 floor of a former locksmith shop. Her you can find a rotating selection on collections and design objects and enjoy a cup of coffee from Voo’s in-store Companion Coffee Showroom.

Some people say that Voo Store is like a UFO from Mitte that landed in the heart of Kreuzberg. I say: Good that you don't have to leave Kreuberg anymore to experience a little bit of the Berlin-Mitte lifestyle. Now you go and see for yourself.

Monday – Saturday: 11 am – 8 pm

Oranienstraße 24, 10999 Berlin

www.vooberlin.com

berlin mini guide : schœner.wærs.wenns.schœner.wær
images via blog.schoener-waers.de

"Eco-friendly, fair and wonderful"

...is the Motto of schœner.wærs.wenns.schœner.wær. The slightly long and complicated name means "it would be nicer if it was nicer". The owners follow their name and motto and offer a large selection of fair and eco-friendly produced items from postcards to furniture.

It is located directly at Moritzplatz, just a few steps from the betahaus.

Monday – Friday 11 am – 7 pm

Saturday        12 am – 4 pm

Oranienstr. 58 a (Moritzplatz), 10969 Berlin

www.schoener-waers.de

berlin mini guide : prinzessinnengarten

"Imagine a future where every available space in big cities is used to let new green spaces bloom."

Prinzessinnengarten is located directly at Moritzplatz. In 2009 a group of friends, activists and neighbors cleared the former wasteland from rubbish, built transportable organic vegetable pots and started a unique cummunity gardening project, also often referred to as "urban agriculture" or "guerilla gardening". The project has since then gained worlwide fame and attention and inspired others all over the world. Find out more about it here.

There's is also a small organic garden café and restaurant. Please go and have a look - it's a must-see and also just a few steps away from betahaus.

cafe + restaurant 12 am - 18 pm

Prinzenstrasse 35 – 38 / Prinzessinnenstrasse 15 (Moritzplatz)

www.prinzessinnengarten.net

berlin mini guide : das hotel
images via dashotel.org

Ok, I had to include at least one bar, and I picked Das Hotel. Why? I'll let the Guardian speak first:

"A bit like Berlin itself, Das Hotel is romantic in a ramshackle sort of way. "

The Brits can't be wrong, right? Das Hotel started out as a tiny bar and became more and popular over the years. The bar is still tiny and usually packed, but now you can also dance in the cellar next door and grab something to eat in the bistro next to it. Check out their program here.

And yes, it's a bar called "Hotel" and not the bar of a hotel.

But pssst: There are private rooms above the bar and club that can be rented and applied for via email. Not officially. We're in Berlin, after all. I won't provide the email because I think that's how the owners want to keep it, but it's not difficult to find if you look for it.

Bar:

7 days a week, 4 pm - the end

Club:

Thursday - Saturday, open at nighttime

Mariannenstr. 26a, Berlin-Kreuzberg

www.dashotel.org

That's it! I hope you enjoyed my completely incomplete and totally biased mini-guide for you. Hive-attendees or anybody who's planning a trip to Berlin. Of course the list of places to see in Berlin is endless, you'll find many more yourself just by walking down the streets.

For those of you who have more free time in the city than just a few hours I suggest you have a look at the Best of Berlin list by Sylee from Berlin Reified and check out Sandra Juto's Berlin - Guide, as well as the brilliant Berlin Design Guide.

Have fun  - and please let me know if you visited any of the places! I'd love to hear what you think.

julia I mintlametta (Thursday, 23 May 2013 14:14)

thank you so much * hope I'll find the time to visit all thes places beside the hive see you in berlin * julia

minamoka (Thursday, 23 May 2013 14:22)

Hi Julia, I'm glad you like the guide - see you soon!

Ricarda (Thursday, 23 May 2013 14:30)

Lokking forward to see you in Berlin! Thanks for the guide! Ricarda

minamoka (Thursday, 23 May 2013 14:35)

@Ricarda: Gerne - ich hoffe es war etwas Interessantes für dich dabei! Bis morgen!

Kerstin (Thursday, 23 May 2013 14:49)

Danke für den Überblick, ich bin zwar aus berlin, kenne die gegend aber kaum. Nur ein Hinweis in deutsch: es wird ja eine fanmeile geben und vielleicht ist der eine oder andere von den umleitungen oder sperrungen betroffen/überrascht.
    Viele gruesse kerstin

minamoka (Thursday, 23 May 2013 15:22)

Hallo Kerstin, danke fürs Vorbeischauen - oje, die Fanmeile. Wie gut, dass ich mit dem Fahrrad unterwegs bin...

Deepa (Thursday, 23 May 2013 20:50)

What a cool guide, makes me feel even worse that I can't make it to The Hive! I would have loved to finally meet you in person and try your brunch recommendation (3 Schwestern) for myself. Next year maybe?

Judith (Thursday, 23 May 2013 21:05)

What a cool guide, Lena! I visited the Prinzessinnen garten last year and fell in love, it's so cool and relaxed (and just around the corner of Betahaus). Looking forward to checking out all your other suggestions and to meet you of course ;) See you very soon!

Doris (Thursday, 23 May 2013 21:46)

Have a great time at The Hive Lena! What a wonderful guide. I will keep this as a source for when I visit Berlin. xD

tina @ colourliving (Friday, 24 May 2013 02:54)

I have been trying to comment all day... those bloggers on FB.. never ending:-)

This is super cool!!!! A great idea. I LOVE your map. Did you know I'm obsessed with maps?

I also visited the Prinzessinnen garten last year and fell in love... I think the area is great. ANother fav of mine is the Museum of things.. do you know it?

I LOVE the idea of Süper Store so as I'll have a bicycle I will sneak off on Saturday (don't tell anyone) to have a look. Noted!!!

See you tomorrow x

minamoka (Friday, 24 May 2013 11:18)

@Deepa such a pity you can't make it. Hope to see you next year - or sometime in between? - for a brunch at 3Schwestern!
    @Judith: Too bad the weather isn't nice enough to hang out at Prinzessinnengarten this year...
    @Doris: Thank you - and I hope you'll come visit soon!
    @Tina: I didn't know you were obsessed with maps but glad to hear you like mine! I have heard of the museum of things but never been to it. But I will! An I hope you find the time to visit Süper Store. It's a little hidden and off the beaten track and I'm glad if people find it thanks to the map.

Cate (Friday, 24 May 2013 11:34)

Love the type. I went to Berlin a few weeks ago for the first time and absolutely loved it. There was so many nice cafes and boutiques. Can't wait to go back again.

Kate (@shoegirlinDE) (Friday, 24 May 2013 12:06)

Thanks for this lovely little guide. Looking forward to meeting you at The Hive this weekend!

owls house london. (Friday, 24 May 2013 18:08)

makes me wish I could be there! looks a great resource, I shall keep it bookmarked for when I eventually visit Berlin.. hope you all have a fabulous time! J

Chi @ 106 (Monday, 27 May 2013 09:38)

So gutted I couldn't make it this time! Tina, Deepa and I had a blast last year. Tina and I dined at Dudu and stayed at The Amano. I remember having a little wander around The Prinzessinnengarten and thinking what a great initiative it was.

Your recommendations are wonderful and definitely worth noting for when next I'm in Berlin - hopefully en famille! :D

P.S. Can't wait to read all about Hive 13! :) x

Deepa (Monday, 27 May 2013 10:00)

Lena, I may be in Berlin from June 10-13 to join my husband on a business trip. Again, not sure if I can make it depending on Tala's passport. But as soon as I can confirm it, I'll get in touch with you for that brunch!

minamoka (Monday, 27 May 2013 12:05)

Thank you everyone for the wonderful feedback - so happy you like my map and my tips.
    @Chi: Don't worry, the hive was nice but the weather was horrible, no way to enjoy Prinzessinengarten or wander around the city anyways. Hope to see you soon!
    @Deepa: That would be wonderful, I'll be here in mid-june, please let me know!

Sandra (Wednesday, 29 May 2013 08:41)

Oh nein! Der Voo Store war in unserer Näher. Verflixt und zugenäht - den hatte ich gar nicht auf dem Schirm, dabei wollte ich doch so gern mal dort vorbeischauen . Bei "Schöner wärs wenns schöner wär" hab ich natürlich auch reingeschaut. Toller Laden!

Ich hoffe, beim nächsten Mal kriegen wir uns mal bewusst zu Gesicht. Für die Zwischenzeit wandert dieser Blog in meine Leseliste :-)