LETTER SALAD

vintage letters | minamoka.com

Every weekend there is a flea market almost right in front of my doorstep and a short visit there is a saturday morning family tradition. One of my favorite stalls is the one selling vintage letters. They come in all sizes, colors and materials. I think I like them even more all together in their boxes than just a few of them displayed nicely.

Letter salad.

vintage letters | minamoka.com
vintage letters | minamoka.com

mel (Sunday, 23 June 2013 10:59)

Oh I love this - the name you gave them and the photos! They look fabulous all mixed up like that. Have a great Sunday Lena! Mel

ilaria (Sunday, 23 June 2013 12:19)

I feel the same : I love them when I see them all together but never found the right one to bring home. Have you ever bought any of them? The other day I saw a couple of letters in a art deco typo ... they were gorgeous but the letters didn't mean anything to me, none of them would have fit for us so I left them. But I still think about them ;-) lovely Sunday to you :-)

minamoka (Monday, 24 June 2013 14:02)

@mel: Thank you for stopping by, Mel - glad you like them, too!

@Ilaria: no, I never bought any of them. I really prefer them mixed up like that. I wouldn't be able to decide what word to use them for. My name? boring! Maybe if I came up with a word that means something special to me I'd buy some.

owl's house london. (Monday, 24 June 2013 15:18)

gorgeous! what is it about letters that is so appealing, i wonder? maybe the possibility and potential of them... j

Nina (Wednesday, 26 June 2013 04:15)

Oooh, you're so lucky to live close by a flea market. I could not choose a favorite letter either and like the whole "Buchstabensalad" the best. Probably would chose an ampersand if I had to make a choice or an N...

Kreetta (Thursday, 27 June 2013 08:31)

Woow. I like to get to that flea market. I love fonts and letters. I probably would have a problem to buy too many :)

minamoka (Thursday, 27 June 2013 15:22)

Let me know if you ever come to Berlin, Kreetta - I'll tell you where to find them!

tina @ colourliving (Sunday, 30 June 2013 11:04)

LOVE them.... great find.

Of course, no visit to Berlin is complete without dropping into the Buchstabenmuseum.

Jenni (Museum Diary) (Monday, 01 July 2013 13:03)

I love letters - my husband is a total font junky, and one of my favourite museum visits this year so far has been to the Buchstabenmuseum (http://museumdiary.com/2013/02/11/here-come-the-abcs/). Can you share which Flohmarkt this is? We are still looking for a good one to go to. Thanks! Jenni x

minamoka (Monday, 01 July 2013 13:22)

Hi Jenni, sure: It's the one on Marheinekeplatz behind the Markthalle. It's on Saturdays and Sundays and the guy with the letters is there every Saturday, I believe. But it's a tiny fleamarket! What kind of fleamarket are you looking for? The one at Rathaus Schöneberg is great for bargains, the one on Fehrbelliner Platz a little more expensive but nice for antique stuff. Arkonaplatz is hipper and trendier, also the flowmarket at Maybachufer (but usually very crowded!) Wow, I think I should do a post about fleamarkets in Berlin, or maybe a column - I get lots of questions about the best fleamarkets!