DIY upcycled canvas shoes |

A little summer DIY - before I say goodbye!

We're going on our summer vacation tomorrow. Tomorrow! I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to the next three weeks. The first long and "exotic" holidays in a very long time.

I got a pair of inexpensive canvas shoes because any kind of shoe will probably fall apart after the holidays anyways. But I wasn't crazy about the color and didn't really like the seam on top of it - so I decided to customize them a bit with a black textile pen. For some pattern inspiration I turned to one of my pinterest boards where I collect patterns and illustrations and was drawn to an image of a study by Ellsworth Kelly.

Ellsworth Kelly

I liked the irregularity of the brushstrokes and it showed me how I could work with instead of against the seam on the shoes. I'm not pretending I'm a second Ellsworth Kelly here -  I just like observing and sharing how ideas come to life and what's the unexpected story and inspiration behind them.

DIY upcycled canvas shoes |
DIY upcycled canvas shoes |
DIY upcycled canvas shoes |

Beige canvas shoe goes zebra, inspired by Ellsworth Kelly. They are already in my

backpack now...

I will be away for three weeks and and give MINA MOKA a break, too - but please follow me along on my (mini-blog) instagram if you want!

Have a great summer - and see you sooooooon!

DIY upcycled canvas shoes |

Eva @FoodVegetarisch (Saturday, 06 July 2013 11:35)

Was für eine tolle Idee!! Vor allem, weil der Aufwand ja wirklich übersichtlich ist, das Ergebnis dafür aber wunderschön. Sehr nach meinem Geschmack :)

Hab einen tollen Urlaub!!
    Herzliche Grüße, Eva

minamoka (Saturday, 06 July 2013 11:40)

Liebe Eva, hehe, ja: Minimaler Aufwand, maximales Ergebnis, grundsätzlich meine Herangehensweise wenn's ums basteln und werkeln geht! Ich habe hier auch Farbe und Schmirgelpapier herumliegen, um einige größere Projekte anzugehen - aber das kann warten ;)

tina @ colourliving (Sunday, 07 July 2013 07:59)

Great project and great result.

I love how you interpret things and make them your own. Thank you for sharing your process and your fantastic outcome.

These canvas shoes will accompany you on your travels. I hope you guys have an amazing time and a real adventure. Can't wait for you to share some of it with us.

Enjoy your break!

geraldine (Monday, 08 July 2013 00:30)

what a great idea. Happy holidays x

Judith (Monday, 08 July 2013 17:36)

The perfect holiday slip ons! I drew on my espadrilles as a teenager as well, but never so nice as yours ;) Wish you an adventurous holiday, Lena!

Mette (Tuesday, 09 July 2013 00:25)

This is so amp:-) love your customization, and I hope you'll walk on sandy beaches and through beautiful souroundings in your new shoes. Have a wonderful vacation Lena!

Doris (Tuesday, 09 July 2013 17:57)

What a great idea! You are so creative Lena, I love it! Have a fantastic holiday... somewhere exotic huh? I can't wait to find out where through instagram. See you when you get back fresh and relaxed. xD

Nina (Thursday, 11 July 2013 03:19)

What an amazing idea! So easy but it looks like a million bucks. Enjoy your vacation!

Gudy Herder (Thursday, 11 July 2013 09:40)

Hab eine wunderbare Zeit, Lena, gut, off-line zu sein, ich freu mich auf Deine Rückkehr! Geniess Deine Familie! Big hub!

Ana (Tuesday, 16 July 2013 04:09)

Great idea! They looks so Scandinavian. :)

minamoka (Monday, 29 July 2013 22:10)

Thank you everyone for your comments - I'm back from Thailand now and the shoes still exist, but they look very, well: used... Every time I wore them I thought of this post and all of your nice comments. Good feeling.