THAILAND DIARIES: STREETS OF BANGKOK, PART 1

thailand diaries: streets of bangkok | via minamoka.com

Many of you asked me to show more of our trip to Thailand on the blog. I hear you! I'll share a selection of my photos in little snippets, otherwise it would just be too much.

Let me take you on a walk through the streets of Bangkok today. I didn't know much about the city before - of course I'd seen some pictures and had heard one or two things about it, but not much. To say I was pleasantly surprised would be understated. I spent only about 5 days there and I know there's still so much more to see and explore.

What I loved so much about Bangkok? It's a lot greener than I expected and despite the often crazy traffic it has a quite relaxed atmosphere. It's chaotic (which I love about cities because so am I) and imperfect (which I love about cities because so am I), very colorful and always surprising. I'd go back in a minute.

thailand diaries: streets of bangkok | via minamoka.com
Thailand diaries: streets of bangkok | via minamoka.com
thailand diaries: streets of bangkok | via minamoka.com

This is mainly a diary of images and not so much of words. Some of you have asked me in the comments on instagram if I would blog about backpacking in Thailand with kids or recommend places to stay or see. If you don't find the answers you were looking for on the blog, please don't hesitate to send me an email and I'll try my best to answer your questions!

Let's close with a little teaser for the second batch of Bangkok images in the next post: A different perspective.

thailand diaries: streets of bangkok | via minamoka.com

Claudia - DesignClaud (Thursday, 08 August 2013 20:15)

Lena, these photos are great. You do capture the rawness and hidden spots of Bangkok so well. I wonder... That animal, what is that?! It looks like a squirrel but it couldn't be, right? Claudia

minamoka (Thursday, 08 August 2013 20:19)

Thank you Claudia, I'm happy you like my pictures and recognise "your" Bangkok in it, too. The animal? I don't have a clue what it is, to be honest. But maybe someone else can tell us in the comments!

owls house london. (Thursday, 08 August 2013 23:53)

what super images! a wonderful visual diary :)

Kari (Friday, 09 August 2013 16:31)

great post

images speak more than words sometimes in describing places to visit. maybe structure the article around 3 core themes of images, cool pics of places you EAT in Thailand, and the two others could be accommodation / culture focused pics so I can skip to parts I want to see more of. A DJ has a blog where he posts 300+ pictures of a party and they tell much more of a story than a boring old blog post he might write !

minamoka (Friday, 09 August 2013 18:37)

@owl's house: Thank you for stopping by, I' m glad you like my little visual diary!

@Kari: Thank you for visiting and taking the time to leave a comment - I'm afraid I won't meet your expectations because this is a diary of my visual inspirations and not meant to be a guide - I hope you'll enjoy the visual journey anyways ;)

Doris (Sunday, 11 August 2013 10:39)

You have such a great eye Lena! The photo's are wonderful and you nailed the vibrancy of the city! I had to laugh at the picture of the hamster with the little outfit tee hee. xD

minamoka (Monday, 12 August 2013 23:37)

Thank you, Doris! So it's a hamster you think?

mel (Tuesday, 13 August 2013 00:34)

Lena they are wonderful, wonderful photos! You've captured the spirit and colours of this city beautifully. Aren't the Thai the most beautiful people? Mel x

Deepa (Tuesday, 13 August 2013 14:00)

And BOOM! Just like that, I'm homesick. So many of these photos remind me of another chaotic, imperfect city close to my heart... my hometown Manila!

minamoka (Tuesday, 20 August 2013 11:02)

Thank you Mel - glad you like my impressions!
    @Deepa: Sorry for making you homesick ;) I hope you could still enjoy it!