AUGUST MOODBOARD CHALLENGE: LANDSCAPE

color palette | minamoka.com

Last week I got an email from Claudia who runs the travel and design inspiration blog DesignClaud, asking me to take part in the premiere of her monthly link party DIY moodboard challenge. Of course I said yes! Who doesn't like an excuse to create a moodboard? Claudia (who is currently traveling the world for two years. Yes, I said two years!) and I have been travelling together virtually during the past weeks because we were both in Thailand at the same time. Unfortunately our plan to meet up for a coffee in Bangkok didn't work out because I was stuck in traffic and had to get to the train station earlier than expected. Nevertheless we exchanged messages and emails in the following weeks and gave each other tips on where to go and what to see, sometimes following in each other's steps.

For her first Link Party Claudia asked us to pick any landscape photo that we took and like and to create a color palette based on and a mood board inspired by that picture. Just having arrived back home from my vacation I didn't have to look far and picked an image of the beach and sea in Koh Phangan.

diy modboard challenge | minamoka.com

So this is what I came up with for Claudia's first moodboard challenge: An attempt to bring the sound of silence, the calm and peaceful atmosphere of the beach and the sea back home.

Please hop over to Claudia's post to find out more about the challenge, get some tips on how to create both a color palette and a moodboard, see what she and others came up with and be part of it as well if you like - there's still one week to link up your moodboard post, too!

image sources

bowls by Ben Fiess via LEIF | hair: "notes" by mate moro

linen: toast | fish illustration via presentandcorrect |

stones by me

Doris (Monday, 12 August 2013 15:12)

What a great challenge and a beautiful mood board Lena. It had me away at the sea with the wind in my hair for a moment. Thank You. Have a lovely week. xD

Claudia - DesignClaud (Monday, 12 August 2013 15:36)

Hi Lena, Lovely mood board. Beachy colors! Such a great pattern of the fish.. really cool! Thanks for joining :-) It warms my heart that you all really like it! xx

minamoka (Monday, 12 August 2013 23:33)

@Doris: thank you for your kind words, Doris!
    @Claudia: so great you came up with the idea - I had fun creating the moodboard!

mel (Tuesday, 13 August 2013 00:28)

Hi Lena! What a fantastic idea Claudia had - and gosh 2 years travelling, I'm so envious, that was me a long time ago... Gorgeous moodboards you came up with, perfect photos to work with. I love the top one and how you truly captured each colour in the photo. M x

Deb (Tuesday, 13 August 2013 07:10)

Hi Lena, this is such a cool design for a moodboard! And the things you chose look just like the beach and sky, especially that stack of bowls, very soothing! We've also been to Thailand but never made it to the beaches. We visited mostly cities and bigger towns - Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Sukhothai and Ayuthya.

minamoka (Tuesday, 13 August 2013)

Hi Deb, thank you for stopping by and leaving a comment. I thought exactly the same thing about the color of the bowls when I found them, happy you noticed it!

Inge @ Simply Fabulous Chic (Tuesday, 13 August 2013 12:40)

I totally love these bowls - gotta have them!! Love love them!! And your color palette and moodboard are totally zen and relaxing to look at, very beautiful! Great job! I truly love how everyone got the same request and how every single one of ours created something completely different. ;-) Hugs, Inge x

minamoka (Tuesday, 13 August 2013 12:46)

Thank you Inge for stopping by - I totally agree, it's fun to see how different the results turned out!

Holly {Avenue Lifestyle} (Wednesday, 14 August 2013 15:49)

Love these soft, dreamy colors! I feel like a holiday... :)

Stacey Beth (Saturday, 17 August 2013 20:50)

I think you did an amazing job bringing the sounds and silence of the sea back home. What an incredible photograph and the mood board looks peaceful and calm.

Tazim @beingtazim.com (Thursday, 22 August 2013 23:48)

Oh your mood board is so calming! I love the colours and how peaceful it all looks together!

Ana (Thursday, 29 August 2013 07:03)

What a great idea! Have to check this out. And your board is so relaxing. Great finds. :)

minamoka (Thursday, 29 August 2013 10:51)

Yes, check it out, Ana! You should join the party next time!