CROWDSOURCING FASHION DESIGN: BYCO

BYCO | minamoka.com

I always like to find out about design related campaigns on crowdsourcing platforms (here and here are two I've mentioned before),  so when I read about BYCO on inattendu I hopped over right away  - and wasn't disappointed. BYCO is a recently launched platform for microfinanced design, focusing on fashion and a bit of home accessories. The idea behind it is that you can both fund ideas and shop successfully funded designs on the site. Designers can submit their ideas, the BYCO team selects and calculates the cost for a prototype and if the prototype gets funded it will be produced and sold online for a limited time on BYCO, with funders getting their share of the profit as well.

The first designs you can shop there look very promising and the idea sounds like a great chance for young designers and a win-win situation for all parties to me - let's hope it will be successful!

BYCO | minamoka.com

la princesse dress by b.erb | hand eye coordination tee by katharine weintraub

images via byco.com

Kreetta (Friday, 16 August 2013 09:37)

Hey, this is interesting! You know my dream profession when I was a teenager was clothing designer. I've been making some clothing to myself during this year. I have found it again. It is so wonderful that nowadays everything is some how easier...but we have also more competition. Thanks for sharing Lena!

minamoka (Friday, 16 August 2013 11:47)

@Kreetta: Isn't it? Especially the fact that they take care of production and selling and all the designers have to do is - well, design. I wish I could make my own clothes, but I can't sew - I've tried it a couple of times but I'm just not patient enough. I'd love to see the clothes you made, why don't you share them on your blog?

Anni (Friday, 16 August 2013 23:51)

Super interesting platform! Thanks for sharing, Lena! and a happy weekend.***

monsterscircus (Tuesday, 20 August 2013 00:01)

Hi Lena - Lovely tip, it's looks very promising. Yes there's really a great potential in crowdsourcing. Here in Denmark the government uses the crowdsourcing for different kinds of projects. Thanks for sharing Lena and have a wonderful day:-)

Gudy Herder (Tuesday, 20 August 2013)

That sounds like a brilliant idea. I have a fashion designer friend and will send her straight away to you post!

minamoka (Tuesday, 20 August 2013 10:54)

Thank you Anni, I hope you had a good weekend, too!
    @Mette: interesting to hear that the government uses crowdsourcing in Denmark. Well, that's Scandinavia... Always one step ahead!
    @Gudy: Happy to hear that!

tina @ colourliving (Tuesday, 20 August 2013 21:49)

Looks really interesting. Thank you for sharing:-)
    Will come back to this x

mel (Wednesday, 21 August 2013 09:05)

I just had a friend fund a properly produced film clip through crowd sourcing. It's such a great innovative idea to encourage and develop creatives. I didn't realise it was moving into fashion. Awesome!