THAILAND DIARIES: CHATUCHAK MARKET FINDS

Thailand diaries | minamoka.com

I know, I said I'd take you to the beach for my next Thailand Diaries post, but I changed plans and decided to show you some of my finds from Bangkok's huge Chatuchak weekend market. It goes by various names - Chatuchak weekend market, Talaat Jatujak or simply JJ - and is by far the biggest market I've ever seen in my life. You definitely need a map to find your way. Luckily I found a great illustrated map of Bangkok by Nancy Chandler with an extra section for the market.

It was our last day in Bangkok and our time was very limited - otherwise I'd have spent much more time in my favourite section where young local fashion designers sell their designs. I didn't leave this section completely empty handed, but focused on souvenirs we could bring back as presents, like these wooden chopsticks and spoons in all sizes and tiny wooden soy sauce bowls.

Thailand diaries: market finds | minamoka.com
Thailand diaries: market finds | minamoka.com
Thailand diaries: market finds | minamoka.com
Thailand diaries: market finds | minamoka.com

By the way: The paintings I re-used as a background here were actually a mother and son coproduction for my guestpost at colourliving for Tina's vive la différence series last week. Hop over and have a look if you want...

More bits and pieces from our Thailand trip: here, here and here.

tina @ colourliving (Wednesday, 28 August 2013 22:35)

I love foreign markets. the possibilities that await! the loot, the discoveries... it's all so exciting.

Nice souvenirs and I can imagine you wanting to stay for much longer.

I love Nancy's Maps... no pinning though:-) good find!

Ha. Nice to see more of the collaboration between you and your artist son:-))and good idea to use it as a backdrop/prop for your post.

I love that first photo.....VLD seems so long ago, right?? But it lives on...

Nina (Thursday, 29 August 2013 02:50)

The wooden spoons are great keepsakes as well as great gifts to give to friends and family that had to stay home. At least I would be happy if someone would bring be something like this back from a trip. The market sounds like great place to browse, just read that is has 200.000 visitors per day. Sounds like it's pretty crowded too ;)

Eva @FoodVegetarisch (Thursday, 29 August 2013 07:08)

Oh, I just love these wooden spoons, chop sticks and bowls :) No wonder, isn't it ;)
    Liebe Grüße
    Eva

minamoka (Thursday, 29 August 2013 10:55)

@Tina: Nancy Chandler's map was amazing, as well as her guide. Too bad I found it so late, would have been so helpful for our first days in Bangkok, too.
    Glad you like our VLD in a new context ;)

@Nina: The market is huge - so it's crowded but still possible to shop and see things.

@Eva: No wonder, right...!

Claudia @designclaud (Friday, 30 August 2013 04:04)

Hi Lena, I regret it so much that we didn't go to this market. But we were only there during the week so we missed the weekends :-( Lovely wooden spoons. Definitely a good souvenir. Your housed must be filled with new souvenirs :-)

gudy herder (Friday, 30 August 2013 07:21)

Oh, I would love to see this market and get an impression of how big it is. Must have been big fun for the kids too. I always go to markets in the Asian area, they are so colorful and there is so much to see. One has the impression people literally live there. Beautiful pics,Lena!

geraldine (Monday, 02 September 2013 01:39)

Sounds like an amazing market and great loot. That art looks familiar ;) xx

mel (Monday, 02 September 2013 02:58)

The little sauce bowls and spoons are lovely! I really enjoyed your post over at Colour Living and I'm totally impressed with your mother and son creativity! M x

minamoka (Monday, 02 September 2013 14:01)

@Claudia: it's definitely worth a visit - but you see so many markets on your travels anyways. p.s.: most of our souvenirs have been given to friends and family as presents by now.

@gudy: I know, it's a shame I didn't take pictures - but I was on not on a blogger mode there, just on a holiday mode!

@Geraldine: I've seen it somewhere else before, too. Can't remember where.

@mel: Thank you mel, I`ll pass the compliments on to my son!