DO IT : GO SOMEWHERE!

DO IT : travel! New York | minamoka.com

A while ago I started a column called DO IT! where I pick a pin from my ideas board on pinterest and try to make it real in my own way. Usually it is some kind of DIY project - this time I picked something a little different. I pinned this image because I liked the line "go somewhere".

Like most people I love traveling and luckily I've been able to travel a lot in my life so far. During the past 7 years though I had two children and had to move to another country for a couple of years and our travel opportunities were more limited. But this year we are finally recharging our travel batteries! One reason for that is the simple fact that we don't find a bigger apartment for the four of us in Berlin. On the one hand that's annoying, but on the other hand it means that we are saving a lot of money every month which we are not spending on a higher rent or a bank loan. So we decided to look at the bright side, spend that money and: travel! After 3 weeks in Thailand with the whole family in July we're now treating ourselves with a week in New York City. This time: just the two of us, for the first time in 7 years.

I know that there will be a time when traveling will be less easy, because of work, money or other reasons. I'll enjoy it while it lasts!

(I'll be on a blogging holiday from today on for a week, but you can always follow me on instagram...)

I got the magazine up there in the image and printed out Sandra Juto's New York guide. Do you have any tips for me in New York? I haven't been there for 11 years and I'm sure everything will be completely different from back then. So please let me know all you know!

Yuly (Sunday, 15 September 2013 10:31)

Your blog has a neww appearance which I like VERY MUCH !!!

minamoka (Sunday, 15 September 2013 14:00)

Thank you, Yuli! I'm happy to hear that.

un23 ilaria (Sunday, 15 September 2013 15:56)

Excellent project Lena and New York ... I'd love to go back there! We've been thinking about the same thing this year. After what we've been through this last year with the move and the change of life, we said to ourselves we deserved some time for the 4 of us. And we are planning a great tip for early next year. Japan? Indonesia? Australia? Still making up our minds ;-) Have a great trip and I will certainly follow your steps through IG :-) xx

geraldine (Monday, 16 September 2013 01:00)

Have a wonderful trip Lena. I would love to go back to New York some time and enjoy it properly. The last time I was there, it was my first trimestre in pregnancy, hence was feeling sick.

Claudia Arends (Monday, 16 September 2013 11:59)

Hi Lena, I've never been to NY but I want to wish you a very fun and awesome holiday in NY! I'm looking forward to your posts about it and to your instagrams! Definitely following you there.
    Enjoy the trip with the two of you!!

tina @ colourliving (Monday, 16 September 2013 15:10)

Oh, Have the Bestest of times. How precious. Alone, after 7 years and in NYC!

No doubt you'll report upon your return.

Enjoy every minute!!!

Judith (Tuesday, 17 September 2013 00:45)

So good that you did it! Sometimes you just have to do it now, so true! The first images on IG look promising: I hope you'll have a wonderful time in NYC! I've no recommendations, last time I visited was 14 years ago. I had the best pretzel ever (but I bet you have good ones in Germany too hihi) and the worst experience at Victoria's Secret, so I'd say: just stroll & enjoy :) xx

mel (Friday, 20 September 2013 07:00)

I hope that you are having a wonderful time Lena! NY is high up on my list (sans enfants) so good on you for doing it just the two of you. Travel is so good for the soul, I feel like I haven't done enough of it in the past couple of years... Mel xx

Anni (Monday, 23 September 2013 04:40)

Wonderful plan! love the DO IT column.
    Did you get home safely? It was super nice to meet, even for so short.***

monsterscircus (Tuesday, 24 September 2013 23:19)

Wow Lena, that sounds like a wonderful choice! Enjoy your trip and hope you'll keep us updates on IG with amazing bites of NY. Have a happy day dear Lena

minamoka (Wednesday, 25 September 2013 19:42)

Thank you for all your comments - I had a wonderful time, still recovering from the busiest holiday ever. Well, I picked New York, not a Spa!

Doris (Saturday, 28 September 2013 18:00)

I hope you had a blast in New York, your instagram photo's were fantastic! Can't wait to hear about it when you get back. A trip without kids sounds like heaven - more so the sleep in's ;). xD