STUDIO VISIT: LEERBUCH

studio visit: meinleerbuch | minamoka.com

I've been wanting to write about my friend Lisa's leerbuch project for the longest time. Finally!

Lisa works in an architecture office during the week and loves to spend her weekends treasure hunting at fleamarkets. A couple of years ago she had the idea to combine her need for a sketchbook and her love for fleamarkets finds and used the covers of an old book to make a notebook for herself after teaching herself a bookbinding technique with the help of a youtube video.

Not long after that her bookshelf was filled with more than 100 selfmade sketchbooks. She started selling them and eventually set up her website meinleerbuch.de. There you can browse through the books she has made so far and find out more about the idea behind meinleerbuch (only in German, though...).

studio visit: meinleerbuch | minamoka.com

Lisa uses the coptic bookbinding technique, binding the pages and covers together tightly with a connected stitch. That way all the pages open up completely flat. The thick high quality paper is taken from sketchpads so the books can be used both as sketchbooks and notebooks.

studio visit: meinleerbuch | minamoka.com

What I like most about Lisa's books is the fact that their covers have and tell a story, they even tell you what to use them for - as a travel journal or a diary, to collect recipes or to write down poems.

All Berliners will have the chance to see and buy Lisa's books at the Klunkerkranich Christmas Market this weekend (from Thursday until Sunday) - perfect for a last minute present. Those of you who live too far away will have to wait until I have talked her into selling her books online because she does not have on online store yet. But I'm sure that you can send her a message if you find the perfect book for you on her website...

studio visit: meinleerbuch | minamoka.com

p.s. If you're interested to learn more about the bookbinding technique: Thea and Toni from sisterMAG have produced a really nice coptic bookbinding video tutorial earlier this year.

monsterscircus (Wednesday, 18 December 2013 01:04)

What a talented and of course creative friend you have Lena. Such an amazing project and really stunned about her productivity. I tried a workshop with bookbinding on, but oh my I don't have the patience for this art, but I love to see process of the different techniques. Thanks for sharing Lena and a merry week to both of you:-)

mel (Wednesday, 18 December 2013 04:00)

Oh how totally inspiring. I just love these old crafts and techniques being embraced again. You friend should start simple and get an easy store. Do it Lisa! Thanks for the introduction to your talented friend Lena. M x

minamoka (Wednesday, 18 December 2013 09:34)

@mette: so true! Lisa is super patient, I couldn't do it, either.

@mel: yes, I'll talk her into it soon. She is teaching me patience ;)

gudy herder (Wednesday, 18 December 2013 13:22)

I had seen the sister's video and love the technique. What an amazing post, Lena! Love those stories and different products and creative crafts people. Will have a look now on her site!xx

Doris (Wednesday, 18 December 2013 15:02)

Such a lovely hobby from a very creative person. I love the simplicity of re-using something old and re-creating it into something new and useful. I'd love to know when she decides to sell on-line! xD

minamoka (Thursday, 19 December 2013)

@ Gudy: Thank you, Gudy, I know we share love for crafters and their stories and techniques.
    @Doris: It's such a simple idea, but I've never seen it before. That's what makes it really special. I'll keep you informed about the online store issue ;)

Eva @FoodVegetarisch (Monday, 23 December 2013 11:22)

Liebe Lena,
    immer wieder bin ich ganz begeistert, wenn ich auf deinem Blog vorbei schaue, da es für mich immer wieder so viel neues Schönes bei dir zu entdecken gibt. Die Notizbücher deiner Freundin finde ich einfach großartig!
    Frohe Weihnachten, Eva x

minamoka (Monday, 30 December 2013 22:54)

Liebe Eva - 1000 Dank, dein Kommentar hat mich sehr gefreut! Ich hoffe, du hattest schöne Weihnachtstage und wünsch' dir einen guten Rutsch!

tina @ colourliving (Friday, 10 January 2014 01:31)

How very wonderful and inspiring.
    I love the name and her site, especially the naming of the owners of the books.
    I saw the SM tutorial and I've dabbled with book-binding.
    For me, it's really important that all pages open up flat....

I shall look her up when I come to Berlin in March... if you're around it would be really nice to meet for a coffee?

Great Post and Happy New year to you and your family x

minamoka (Friday, 10 January 2014 16:29)

Hi Tina, so happy you like Lisa's work. And yes - I'd love to meet you for a coffee in Berlin when you here! Let me know!

Galina (Tuesday, 14 January 2014 07:29)

So interesting post.Thanks Lena.
    The idea to merge sketchbook and flea market books is so unique.
    I like Lisa's sketchbooks.

minamoka (Tuesday, 14 January 2014 23:07)

Thank you, Galina, I'm happy to share my friend's work and even happier if others like it as much as I do!